Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Windows 10 breaks Polyphone possibly?

Windows 10 breaks Polyphone possibly? 2 months 4 days ago #1

  • John J Speth
  • John J Speth's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • Posts: 8
  • Thank you received: 2
Today I installed Polyphone 2.3 in response to the email announcing that it's new. I'm running Windows 10 64-bit. I installed Polyphone 2.3 64-bit. I ran it and there would be no visual indication that it's running after I start it. Task manager reports it's running but I see no window. I uninstalled 2.3 and reinstalled 2.2. Now 2.2 takes minutes to load and sometimes hangs up and even silently shuts itself down. In other words, I can't do anything useful with it. Based on what I've read in the forum, this class of problems is a long-standing problem that seems to have never been corrected.

Polyphone 2.2 used to work just fine for me when I last used it about a six months ago. Would somebody please help me unlock the secrets of making Polyphone work on Windows 10? Has Windows 10 evolved to the point where it breaks Polyphone?

Edit/Update: Polyphone 2.2 32-bit exhibits the exact same crash symptoms as the 2.2 64-bit version.
Last Edit: 2 months 4 days ago by John J Speth.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Windows 10 breaks Polyphone possibly? 2 months 4 days ago #2

  • John J Speth
  • John J Speth's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • Posts: 8
  • Thank you received: 2
(I'm the OP) -

I did a long troubleshooting session today on this matter. It seems that my 2.3 installation corrupted the audio output device settings. The buffer size was the minimum value which led to audio range dropouts. I hypothesize that the rapid buffer service requirements due to the small buffer size overloaded the app and eventually it crashed. I eventually learned that as I increase the buffer size, the instability fades (going from immediate crash, to a few tens of seconds until crash, to never crashing). Going back to prior versions changed none of my observations, good or bad.

I think the origin of my problem was the unwanted reassignment of the audio driver (went from MME to ASIO) after installation and in doing so the buffer size was smacked leading to instability/crashing.

Bug submission: V2.3 does not show ASIO in the audio output device list whereas V2.2 does. That seems wrong to me.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds
Cron Job Starts