Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: use of unusual tunings (temperaments)

use of unusual tunings (temperaments) 3 weeks 6 days ago #1

• Paul Sherwood
Hello

I am making my first soundfont, it is for a bagpipe, not usually an equal-tempered instrument. Could someone advise me on the best way of constructing a non-equal tempered soundfont.

I can see two main approaches (a) I can sample every note individually, with the required pitches (e.g. copy an existing physical bagpipe) and then each note has a tuning adjustment of zero (or a small correction if there is a tuning problem with the sampled bagpipe), or (b) I can use a number of samples (maybe less than one per note) tuned on import to a pitch which matches the corresponding notes on an equal-tempered scale, use divisions containing just one note and adjust the tuning relative to the equal tempered value on a note by note basis using the Tuning (cents) parameter.

A third alternative would perhaps be to use a soundfont player VST which can modify the pitches provided by the soundfont, I am not sure if this is possible and it feels more appropriate to built it into the instrument definition .

I would welcome any advice on how this is best approached.

many thanks!

Paul
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds
Cron Job Starts