Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Attenuation not working

Attenuation not working 1 month 3 weeks ago #7

• ziyametedemircan
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
This is a safe value and is equivalent to "no attack".
Type 0 in the vol-env-attack cell and press enter on your keyboard. What do you see?

Soundfont players should have set 0.001 as the default value if nothing is written in that cell, but it is useful to write this value here to be safe. So the value 0.001 should already be the default value. (Equivalent to an empty cell in an error-free soundfont player and doesn't change anything.)

The internal values ​​here are -32768 (most negative=1msec), 0 (=1sec), and 32767(most positive=100sec). Instead of these values ​​in the user interface, we see them converted to seconds. 0.001, 1, 100

Try typing 200 in that cell in Polyphone. What did you see: 101,593 right? This is an error, the number here cannot be greater than 100. (I wonder if the number 32768 is used for the most positive value, or is this a rounding error?)
In order to avoid some mistakes like this, I suggest you not leave this cell blank and enter a value.

For example, with some older soundfont players you will sometimes hear a strange pop or crackle at the beginning of the sample. Because there is a calculation error; the synthesizer wouldn't know what to do with this extreme unexpected value. And it tries to reverse-attack. Convexly from maximum decibel to minimum. I remember solving this problem by typing 0.003 in that cell.
In reality I don't think a value between 0.001 and 0.003 will be a problem.

A note: In versions 2-01 and older of the Soundfont specification, filter-frequency was not applied for samples with attack times less than 0.007, in version 2.04 this requirement was removed.

And if a soundfont player accepts 0 as a value (Houston, we have a problem) that value would be equivalent to 1 second (for technical reasons in the spec). Because this value cannot be multiplied or divided.

But since you will not publish this soundfont and use it for your own work, what I wrote is nothing more than satisfying your curiosity.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: neuroxik

Attenuation not working 1 month 3 weeks ago #8

• neuroxik
ziyametedemircan wrote:
This is a safe value and is equivalent to "no attack".
Type 0 in the vol-env-attack cell and press enter on your keyboard. What do you see?

I know, I found that really annoying the other day (I think first time I used it was 2 days ago), but glad it does that now that I know what you outlined!

ziyametedemircan wrote:
(I wonder if the number 32768 is used for the most positive value, or is this a rounding error?)

I'm guessing (programmer here) that since -32768 -> 32767 is a signed int (interger that allows negative values), those are the max values that can be held. I'm reminded of that often when I see 0-127 (that one signed) for 128 (including zero) is just because 16 bytes (8 bits * 16 = 128) was the limitations at the time with synths.

ziyametedemircan wrote:
For example, with some older soundfont players you will sometimes hear a strange pop or crackle at the beginning of the sample. Because there is a calculation error; the synthesizer wouldn't know what to do with this extreme unexpected value. And it tries to reverse-attack. Convexly from maximum decibel to minimum. I remember solving this problem by typing 0.003 in that cell.
In reality I don't think a value between 0.001 and 0.003 will be a problem.

Really good to know, thanks! I'm taking screenshots of all these posts, including @bottrop's, and including it in my Polyphone installer folder for future reference.

ziyametedemircan wrote:
But since you will not publish this soundfont and use it for your own work, what I wrote is nothing more than satisfying your curiosity.

I actually do plan to put it publically available. They're not the best samples out there (I even own Nexus) but I like classical stuff and I was doing it more to immortalize someone's "old" Casio keyboard and his two favorite presets, but I'm sure a couple people around the world might feel the nostalgia.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.042 seconds
Cron Job Starts