Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Replacing Mono Samples with Stereo Versions

Replacing Mono Samples with Stereo Versions 1 month 5 days ago #7

• Filipe Barros Rodrigues
  • Music intrigues and amuses me
  • Thank you received: 3
And it just keeps getting more and more interesting... I'm hobbying in a very similar way you're working, I'm extracting old videogames soundtracks directly from their ROMs and converting them to midi, just to do a little uplifting on their quality! I'm playing around with Genesis, SNES, and I'm working on N64 soundtracks too, so if you want my help to have the original N64 soundtrack of Doom, I'm happy to help! The extracted midis have everything in their place, all necessary CC messages, pitch bends, note ons and their durations, but their instruments are "scrambled", that is, you'll have to define them individually. But for every game I tried, inside their midis they have assigned only one instrument per channel, which greatly helps you when you have to manually assign the instruments.

As for your observation on N64 music handling, you would be surprised. In my experience, these classic consoles can actually completely handle the basic midi mechanisms, especially on N64. At least in Genesis and SNES, their only limitation on this matter is that they can't handle polyphony on a single channel, and they can handle only 8 channels, but N64 operates at full MIDI standard. If you get a piece of a midi extracted from a ROM, you'll see what I'm saying!

Looking forward to the result of your works :cheer:
That is not dead which can eternal lie...
...And with strange eons, even death may die.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Immorpher

Replacing Mono Samples with Stereo Versions 1 month 5 days ago #8

• Immorpher
  • Thank you received: 1
Fortunately I was able to ride on the work of others (Kaiser of Doom 64 EX / Nightdive studios) who were able to extract and assign the midis of the Doom 64 soundtrack. The composer of that soundtrack, Aubrey Hodges, has somewhat become a legend in the community for his foreboding style. But a lot of people don't realize he also did the Quake 64 soundtrack, which has a very similar style.

The doom 64 soundfont only takes up like 50 preset slots. So my pipe dream would be to combine the Quake 64 presets into a Doom 64 soundfont. This will let the Doom 64 ports of GEC Master Edition and Doom 64 Retribution support Quake 64 music, but also I could make combinations of the instruments to make more midis as well. :)

Any help or directions on getting the Quake 64 midis/soundfont extracted would be greatly appreciated! Plus I help out with music in the Quake community sometimes and they would love to have more music to work with. :)

Replacing Mono Samples with Stereo Versions 3 weeks 6 days ago #9

• Immorpher
  • Thank you received: 1
My buddy was able to figure out how to rip the music into a soundfont from Quake 64! He doesn't know how to do Quake 2 N64 yet since its a different sound system. But I found this which may help: github.com/jombo23/N64-Tools
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds