Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Replacing Mono Samples with Stereo Versions

Replacing Mono Samples with Stereo Versions 3 weeks 3 days ago #1

• Immorpher
  • Thank you received: 1
New Polyphone user here! I had experience a long time ago making soundfonts. Now I am back at it again upgrading an old soundfont. I see that replacing mono samples is as simple as dragging and dropping but how would I replace a mono sample with a stereo one?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Replacing Mono Samples with Stereo Versions 3 weeks 2 days ago #2

• Filipe Barros Rodrigues
  • Music intrigues and amuses me
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello!

When you import a stereo wav sample, Polyphone divides it into two mono samples and name them accordingly to their channel, e.g. you have a stereo sample named "snare1.wav", after you import it, you'll see a "snare1(L)" and a "snare1(R)" or something like that in midst your samples. To use them, you just bind them to an instrument pretending they're ordinary mono samples and set their balance (or pan, I don't recall which Polyphone uses) according to their ear position, with values -50 to play full left and 50 to play full right.

But be advised that when you use stereo samples for instruments and put them in a MIDI track, for some odd reason you can't pan their sound, making it impossible to use certain stereo effects in a MIDI song with them. I don't know why, but the only instruments you can pan and do such effects is mono ones.
That is not dead which can eternal lie...
...And with strange eons, even death may die.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by Filipe Barros Rodrigues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Immorpher

Replacing Mono Samples with Stereo Versions 3 weeks 2 days ago #3

• Immorpher
Oh interesting! I didn't know making them stereo would prevent them from panning. I will have to re-think which ones I would like to make stereo.

But your directions on adding stereo samples makes sense, I will try that ASAP. :)

Replacing Mono Samples with Stereo Versions 3 weeks 2 hours ago #4

• Immorpher
Indeed your tips did the trick in getting sounds stereo. I think I have decided which I want stereo and which I don't. I also verified indeed that stereo sounds ignore midi event panning.

As a bonus I came across this 2018 post trying to come to grips with panning of stereo sounds: lists.defectivebydesign.org/archive/html...018-01/msg00006.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Filipe Barros Rodrigues

Replacing Mono Samples with Stereo Versions 1 week 5 days ago #5

• Filipe Barros Rodrigues
  • Music intrigues and amuses me
  • Thank you received: 3
Dude, you actually helped me with something I was looking for an answer for a while. I was just wondering where the problem with the stereo sample panning was, and the description of your link op's problem matches exactly with my experience, now I know it must be something related to the MIDI standard itself, more than just a soundfont configuration or a more complicated midi driver setting. Thank you for the heads up!
That is not dead which can eternal lie...
...And with strange eons, even death may die.

Replacing Mono Samples with Stereo Versions 3 days 4 hours ago #6

• Immorpher
So I have made some interesting progress! My primary reason for replacing mono sounds with stereo ones, was to mod ports of an old game called Doom 64. Either the composer of the soundtrack, Aubrey Hodges, or the person who did the first PC port, Samuel Villareal, did the music compositions in an interesting way.

Instead of using midi to do panning, the instruments in the sound font definitions were panned. Since the game originally was on the N64, it could have been a quirk of the N64's sound system. Anyway since it was only instruments that was panned, I could attenuate the volume in the left and right sample definitions (I used the rule of constant power). Which allowed me to have stereo samples, yet retain how panning worked in the original game. :)

Here's my rendering of the soundtrack with my edited soundfont:
And the full version of my mod: www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/114534/

Thank you for your help! And also thanks to Polyphone for making the process of editing SF2 files easy!

Now I just need to figure out how to save DLS files (as one of the Doom 64 port uses that for music). :)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
Cron Job Starts