Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: what to do with Instruments Sample/Loop-Start/End

what to do with Instruments Sample/Loop-Start/End 1 month 2 weeks ago #1

• siebenhirter
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello,
what is the advantage of individually setting the start and end of a loop in an instrument if these loop points have already been set correctly in the sample.

Example:
Instrument Rhodes Layer1 uses the following samples with the following parameters:
Rhodes F#01 mit Sample-/Loop-Offset: / / -1 / 61761 / -31
Rhodes C11 mit Sample-/Loop-Offset: / / / 673 / 2
Rhodes F#11 mit Sample-/Loop-Offset: / / / 40062 / -33392

Data of Samples (loops already set satisfactorly):
Rhodes F#01 Size: 62752, Loop: 8 / 62744
Rhodes C11 Size: 59783, Loop: 58436 / 5977
Rhodes F#11 Size: 73946, Loop: 8 / 73938

I am particularly surprised by the negative values (-1) of Sample end Offset and (-31, -33392) of End loop offset.

What can I do additionally with that instruments sample points what can not be done with the parameters of samples directly?
What does it mean to set an instruments loop end to -31 or to -33392?
Can someone help me to understand these parameters in order to apply them in practice?
Attachments:
kind regards, siebenhirter, using polyphone 1.9
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by siebenhirter.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

what to do with Instruments Sample/Loop-Start/End 1 month 2 weeks ago #2

• Filipe Barros Rodrigues
  • Music intrigues and amuses me
  • Thank you received: 3
The loop offset is meant to be used when you want to override the default loop configuration in a sample. For instance, I needed once to use the Harpsichord samples to create a new instrument, because the sounding of this instrument is similar in many points, but with different effects and onset. So instead of duplicating the samples ant setting them individually, I just duplicated the harpsichord entry and set it to sound as I needed, changing the sample starting point and its looping point.

As for the negative values, as well as any value out of the sample bounds, the synthesizer just calculate the position of the loop by shifting the point to somewhere inside the sample bounds, e.g. imagine a sample of size 5000 (valid values are between 0 and 4999), then you set the loop starting point to -500 and ending point at 9800. The real loop will be between 4500 and 4800.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT: I'm not sure, but I think the OFFSET is a value discounted from or added to the default configuration of the sample, e.g. if the loop starts at 10 by default and you set in the instrument a loop start offset of -6, it should start the loop now at 4. But as I stated I could be wrong, so just to be sure, run some tests to make it clear.
That is not dead which can eternal lie...
...And with strange eons, even death may die.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Filipe Barros Rodrigues. Reason: Forgot to mention

what to do with Instruments Sample/Loop-Start/End 1 month 1 week ago #3

• siebenhirter
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for your descriptions - you helped me a lot.
kind regards, siebenhirter, using polyphone 1.9
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds