The tree is the central part of Polyphone. It allows you to access all elements of a soundfont and pilot the right part of the software.
The tree provides a global view and a quick access to the elements of all soundfonts under edition. Each opened .sf2 file is recognized by its title, and contains 3 sub-trees:
All samples are listed under this sub-tree. A click on one of them leads to the editing page of sample.
A click on the header "Samples" displays an overview page.
This tree contains all instruments present in the .sf2 file. Each instrument may contain samples. A click on an instrument or on one of its divisions leads to the editing page of instrument.
A click on the header "Instruments" displays an overview page.
The presets are gathered here and each preset may contain instruments. A click on a preset or on one of its divisions shows the editing page of preset.
A click on the header "Presets" displays an overview page.
A click on the file title, or on the header of one of the three sub-trees, shows the editing page of the global information.
A right click on an element shows a menu comprising the following actions:
- New sample...
Import new samples.
- New instrument...
Create a new instrument.
- New preset...
Create a new preset.
- Bind to...
Bind the selected sample(s) to an instrument, or the selected instrument(s) to a preset.
- Replace by...
Replace a sample by another sample in an instrument, or replace an instrument by another instrument in a preset. The configuration of the sample or instrument is kept.
Copy the selected element(s).
Paste the previously copied element(s).
Delete the selected element(s).
- Rename or bulk rename
Rename the selected element. Several samples may be simultaneously renamed according to different options:
- overwrite existing name with key name as suffix,
- overwrite existing name with numerical ascending suffix,
- append to existing name,
- prepend to existing name.
- Close file
Close the file under edition.
Drag & drop
The operation "drag & drop" (or copy / paste) in the tree enables rapid associations or copies. A multiple selection is possible with the buttons "ctrl" and "shift".
Drag & drop within one soundfont
- Sample → instrument
Association of the sample to the instrument, creation of an instrument division.
- Instrument → preset
Association of the instrument to the preset, creation of a preset division.
- Instrument → another instrument
Copy of all divisions of the source instrument into the destination instrument.
- Instrument division → another instrument
Copy of the division of the source instrument into the destination instrument.
- Preset → another preset
Copy of all divisions of the source preset into the destination preset.
- Preset division → another preset
Copy of the division of the source preset into the destination preset.
Drag & drop between different soundfonts
Copy of the sample.
Copy of the instrument including all samples linked.
Copy of the preset including all instruments and samples linked.
During a copy of elements between different soundfonts, if an element having the same name already exists several options are provided:
- ignore the operation, in which case the copy is canceled for the element concerned,
- replace the existing element, in which case the existing element is overwritten by the copied element,
- duplicate the element, in which case the element is copied next to the existing element with a different name.
To facilitate the search for items in the tree, a search bar is available to filter.
When a string is inserted into the search bar, the elements containing it are shown. Moreover:
- if the string is included in the name of sample, the instruments using the sample and the presets using the instruments using the sample are displayed,
- if the string is included in the name of an instrument, the samples used by the instrument and the presets using the instrument are displayed,
- if the string is included in the name of a preset, the instruments used by the preset and the samples used by the instruments used by the preset are displayed.
A click on the cross to the right of the editable field cancels the filter.
The tree can also be completely collapsed or expanded thanks to the two buttons on the left.