The soundfont browser is a link between Polyphone and the soundfont repository of the Polyphone website. It allows you, directly in Polyphone, to download, test and possibly re-use soundfonts.
To open the soundfont browser, click on Online repository or write a keyword on the home screen. Once the soundfont browser is open in a new tab, it is possible to search, sort and filter the results.
Searching a soundfont
For searching a soundfont, write one or more keywords in the top bar and then press Enter. It is possible to write Author:someone to search soundfonts of a specific author.
Sorting the results
Next to the search bar, a drop-down menu provides 4 ways to sort soundfont results:
- Newest soundfonts are first.
- More downloaded soundfonts are first.
- Rating score
- Highest rated soundfonts are first.
- Title (A→Z)
- Soundfonts results are sorted according to the alphabetical order.
Filtering the results
Results can be filtered in different ways:
- Kind of instrument.
- It's possible to list soundfonts having a license allowing a commercial and / or a sharing after the soundfont is edited.
- Sample source
- Origin of the samples.
- Description of the timbre.
- Description of the articulation.
- Genre targeted by the soundfont.
- MIDI standard
- Listing only soundfonts compliant with a standard is possible.
- Show soundfonts having a specific tag.
Opening a soundfont description can be made with a double-click on a cell in the Daily soundfonts of the home screen or in the soundfont browser. A Premium account is required for soundfonts that are not in the Daily soundfonts. Connecting Polyphone to your account is possible in the settings of the software.
The description of a soundfont is made of:
- a header, in which you can find the title, the number of comments, the number of downloads and the rating,
- a left part, comprising the author name, a date, the license type (please take care of this), the category and other attributes that characterize the soundfont,
- a central part, displaying a textual description, the list of files to download and possible comments.
For downloading a file, click on the icon download next to its file name in the section Downloads. You will see the download progress in a menu next to the main menu, at the top right corner of the software. Once a file is downloaded and if the file is a soundfont, it is possible to open it in a soundfont editor by clicking on the icon open.
It is possible from the menu to clear the completed downloads. If everything is cleared, the download menu disappears.